need help?


Call 9–1–1 if an immediate response is needed for police, fire, and/or medical services.

Police — Suggestion, if you are in the same place as the person in need: to obtain the phone number of local police using a smart phone, search the Web for “call police emergency.”

Adult Protective Service (APS) — To find your local APS program, go to National Adult Protective Services Association (click on map to view results by state, displayed to the right).

Reporting abuse — alleged or actual

For non-life-threatening emergencies, call:

  • National Elder Fraud Hotline (U.S. Department of Justice): 888.FRAUD.11 or 833.372.8311
  • Eldercare Locator helpline: 800–677–1116, or
  • Victim Connect hotline: 855–4VICTIM, (855–484–2846)
  • Adult Protective Service (APS) — To find your local APS program, go to National Adult Protective Services Association (click on map to view results by state, displayed to the right).

“You do not need to prove that abuse is occurring; it is up to the professionals to investigate the suspicions.” — National Elder Abuse Center

“The professionals receiving your report are prohibited from releasing your information as reporter. They may not disclose your identity to the alleged abuser or victim.”— National Elder Abuse Center

Please, report abuse — alleged or actual. Silence protects perpetrators, not their victims.

Mandatory reporting laws require certain groups (or all adults) to tell designated authorities about reasonable suspicions of elder abuse — State statutes relevant to elder abuse, U.S. Department of Justice.

State resources

Find help (in your state) and report abuse. Elder Justice InitiativeU.S. Department of Justice.

Connect to services for older adults and their families, in their community. Eldercare Locator, public service of the Administration on AgingU.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Call the Helpline 800–677–1116.

For a directory listing of state reporting numbers, and more: State resources and training resourcesNational Center on Elder Abuse, funded by the Administration for Community Living.

Find specific state resources, compiled by the National Center on Elder Abuse.

The National Network of State Elder Justice Coalitions (NNSEJC) is, “advancing state coalition efforts to stop elder abuse and promote elder justice.

(Additional) national, federal, and tribal resources

If you are a professional, older adult and caregiver, or advocate, the National Council on Aging had tailored its many resources for you. Scroll down on the site to get started.

If you are a member of a tribe and are looking for information. Specific resources, National Center on Elder Abuse.

For resources on scams and fraud, family caregiving, politics and society, and much more, visit AARP.

Financial exploitation and fraud

For specific resources, listed depending on type of abuser and type of loss: Elder abuse resource roadmap: financial, U.S. Department of Justice.

National Elder Fraud Hotline (U.S. Department of Justice): 888.FRAUD.11 or 833.372.8311

To get assistance from FINRA or raise concerns about issues with brokers, brokerage accounts, and investments call the FINRA Securities Helpline for Seniors® 844–57-HELPS (844–574–3577).

State securities regulators can also be a good resource in dealing with cases of elder financial exploitation. Regulators are listed at, an initiative of the North American Securities Administrators Association.

If you know someone who has been a victim of fraud, or if you suspect that they may become a victim, email the Fraud Hotline, U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging. Call, toll-free, 855–303–9470, weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.

Report someone falsely claiming to be from the government, a business, or a family member; scams and other rip-offs, and unwanted solicitations. Complaint Assistant,  “What you know can help protect someone who you know from a scam.” Pass it onConsumer Information, Federal Trade Commission.

Having a problem with a financial product or service? Submit a complaint, the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (working with older adults) wants to know.

Do you suspect someone of committing fraud, waste, or abuse against Social Security? Report fraud, waste or abuseOffice of the Inspector General, Social Security Administration.

Persons who have been victims of crime

For confidential referrals and resources for persons who have been crime victims. Victim Connect, a program of The National Center for Victims of Crime. Call the Victim Connect Hotline 855–4VICTIM (855–484–2846).

To get help for persons who have been victims of crimes, including victim witnesses. Victim Witness ProgramU.S. Postal Inspection Service. Call 877–876–2455 (press 2).


Help and support for victims of Alzheimer’s/dementia and their caregivers. Help & support, Alzheimer’s Association. To report an incident or concern of abuse or neglect, call 800–272–3900.

If a veteran or their caregiver is looking for services and resources. Geriatrics and extended care, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

For resources and engagement on economic security, health, public policy, action, and involvement, National Council on Aging.

Adult-care homes

Find help for residents of nursing homes, assisted living facilities, board and care homes, and similar adult care homes, contact a Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP), Citizen Advocacy Group (CAG), and other long-term care resources in your state or territory through the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center, National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care.

Suggest other national resources

2 + 3 =